[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: MySQL sequel! Squeal!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 30 22:51:13 EDT 2010

I suppose it's possible that you have never used MySQL. Maybe you
have never used the Internet before, and somebody handed this meeting
announcement on a printout. Certainly you have never visited the KWLUG
website. Certainly you did not attend Khalid's excellent talk on the
LAMP stack in July. But I suppose it's possible you have never used
MySQL.

What's that, Marigold? You have used MySQL as a user, but never have
developed or administrated it in any serious way? Then you are in much
better company. It's a good thing we have Khalid around to show us the
ins and outs of MySQL databases. In this anticipated conclusion to his
LAMP trilogy, he will go into some detail about both technical
(setting up tables, different engines, backup and replication of
databases) and social (oh no! Oracle bought Sun!) aspects of this
incredibly popular database. If you want to understand this
widely-deployed open source infrastructure a bit better, this month's
presentation is for you. As usual, it will begin at 7pm.

I have some sad news on the FLOSS Fund front: this month's nominee is
OpenStreetMap. That's not the sad part, though. OpenStreetMap
(http://www.openstreetmap.org) is a widely loved project in KWLUG
land, and its efforts to produce a quickly-updatable, freely-available
map has been appreciated in many corners (including Haiti during the
earthquake relief effort). The sad part is that the FLOSS Fund is on
its last nominee, and it needs your help in replenishing its stock of
worthy FLOSS projects. If you have a project to nominate you can post
it to the kwlug-disc list, post it on the website or mail it to me.
You can also mail me if you would like to contribute to the
OpenStreetMap donation, and I will get you in touch with the Powers
That Be.

If you are a fan of Ubuntu and/or cake you might be interested in this
next bit of news: the long-term release of Ubuntu (nicknamed Lucid
Lynx) was released this week, and the Waterloo Region Ubuntu LoCo team
is so happy that they are throwing a big party. The party is Saturday,
May 1 (oh no! that's today!) at 5pm at KWartzlab. See more information here:
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/81/detail/

Once again, our meeting will be held at St John's Kitchen:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

Empirical studies have demonstrated that there is sufficient car
parking in the thrift store (Worth a Second Look) parking lot. There
is also plenty of bike parking along the wall. And there are maps and
photos of the site on http://www.kwlug.org , a website which you can
access by asking that friend who gave you this printout for help.

- Paul

P.S. Setup helpers are always welcome to help get the room in order
before the meeting. We try to be at the location by 6:30pm for setup.

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org